SportsWrath

How bad was Giants' Dave Gettleman's signing of Nate Solder?

Nas

https://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2018/11/giants_nate_solder_worst_offseason_move_gettleman.html#incart_river_index

One of Giants general manager Dave Gettleman's top priorities heading into the 2018 season was addressing the problems on the offensive line.

Gettleman thought he solved a big part of those problems by signing free agent left tackle Nate Solder, who spent his first seven NFL seasons protecting the blind side of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

Halfway through the 2018 season, it's become quite clear that Solder is not a cure-all for the offensive line.

On Monday, ESPN.com ranked the best and worst offseason moves, and how they will work out in the long term.

No surprise here that the Solder signing ranks among the worst:

The Giants made Solder the NFL's highest-paid offensive lineman with a four-year, $62 million contract. They used the second overall pick for running back Saquon Barkley in another move designed to help get more from Eli Manning. Those moves haven't worked so far, and the Giants are no closer to figuring out their long-term future behind center.

It would be fashionable to bash the Giants for selecting Barkley second overall, instead of selecting Manning's replacement. We could pontificate on the value of a quarterback in relation to the value of a running back, and we would be correct, but the problem is, we don't know if any of the highly drafted 2018 rookie quarterbacks will be good players.

Sam Darnold, the quarterback the Jets selected third overall, threw six passes to Miami defenders Sunday. The Dolphins intercepted four of them, and by the time the game ended, the Jets were reduced to receiver screens and other conservative calls. Darnold could become the next Peyton Manning or the next Mark Sanchez. No one knows.

Only three qualifying quarterbacks have lower QBRs than Manning this season. They are rookie first-round picks Josh Rosen, Darnold and Josh Allen. First overall pick Baker Mayfield is one spot above Manning. They could all become busts or excellent players. Who knows?

We do know Manning has struggled behind a poor offensive line in recent seasons. We do know evaluators consulted back in March generally thought Solder was coming off a down season with New England in 2017. They did not see the 30-year-old winner of two Super Bowls as an elite left tackle, but they acknowledged beggars could not be choosers, either. Solder was one of the most proven linemen on the market in free agency, leading the line-starved Giants to treat him as though he could reverse their fortunes up front.

fdd_s1017brown.jpeg

Also on ESPN's list of worst moves:

• The Cleveland Browns coaching staff
  • The Oakland Raiders giving complete control to Jon Gruden
  • The Los Angeles Chargers' field-goal kicking problems
  • The Buffalo Bills trading away all their viable backup quarterbacks
  • The Dallas Cowboys going into the season with Allen Hurns as the No. 1 wide receiver
  • The Miami Dolphins signing guard Josh Sitton to a two-year, $18 million contract

clickbait

If the Giants didn't sign Solder and Flowers was still at LT and sitting at 1-7 this would be a story about how the worst move the Giants made in the offseason was not signing Nate Solder.

1-7 is the only reason we are looking at everyone on the roster and pointing at them being the problem and I just don't think it is that simple.

clickbait

If the Giants didn't sign Solder and Flowers was still at LT and sitting at 1-7 this would be a story about how the worst move the Giants made in the offseason was not signing Nate Solder.

1-7 is the only reason we are looking at everyone on the roster and pointing at them being the problem and I just don't think it is that simple.

Except we wouldnt have a 62 million dollar contract to worry about.

I agree Getty had to do something, but it back fired and it's hurting the team now instead of helping.

Except we wouldnt have a 62 million dollar contract to worry about.

I agree Getty had to do something, but it back fired and it's hurting the team now instead of helping.

If his performance does not improve then his chances of seeing all of 62 million dollars is something he should worry about. His contract doesn't concern me at all.

If his performance does not improve then his chances of seeing all of 62 million dollars is something he should worry about. His contract doesn't concern me at all.

He's making 18 million every year the next three years in cap alone, not including incentives.

18 million he's one of the highest paid lineman in the NFL.

If that doesn't bother you then I don't know what to say lol

He's making the same money OBJ is.

He's making 18 million every year the next three years in cap alone, not including incentives.

18 million he's one of the highest paid lineman in the NFL.

If that doesn't bother you then I don't know what to say lol

He's making the same money OBJ is.

no he is making less and only about 35 of the 62 is guaranteed

no he is making less and only about 35 of the 62 is guaranteed

He's making 18 million against the cap the next three years as long as he is on the team.

Odell is making 20, 19 and 19 the next three years against the cap as long as he's on the team.

We are paying Solder two million less one year lol

Because the dead money exceeds the cap number. So cutting him will eat away more cap space than keeping him

Yep we cut him now or next off season and it's something like 24 million in dead cap.

Since Eli is probably gone you combine both their dead cap and it's like 50 million in dead cap space between the two lol

Might as well just tell the NFL we ain't even going to show up next year if we do that lol

Because the dead money exceeds the cap number. So cutting him will eat away more cap space than keeping him

Well the guys who structured his contract are real geniuses then. DG had a pretty good draft but fucked the dog with his FA signings... especially this one.

Well the guys who structured his contract are real geniuses then. DG had a pretty good draft but fucked the dog with his FA signings... especially this one.

You have to look at the last two to three years to see the reasoning for the structuring of Solder's contract.

Nate Solder is rated "Good" by PFF, so he must be good.

He hasn't been worth the money, but its not like he's an abomination out there. He's obviously a shit ton better than Wheeler.

Have to factor in that Hernandez has blown some assignments, maybe that keeps Solder thinking about covering for the rookie.

I hope. Because that can be coached.

He hasn't been worth the money, but its not like he's an abomination out there. He's obviously a shit ton better than Wheeler.

Have to factor in that Hernandez has blown some assignments, maybe that keeps Solder thinking about covering for the rookie.

I hope. Because that can be coached.

I dunno man. He sure as hell isn't passing the eye test, and 7 sacks in 8 games is (I think) the amount Flowers gave up over the whole of last season.