SportsWrath

Official Yankees game thread.

Sox re-accquire Mirabelli to catch for Wakefield tonight.

Mirabelli to catch Wakefield tonight vs. YankeesESPN.com news services

The Boston Red Sox have finalized a trade to obtain catcher Doug Mirabelli from the San Diego Padres in exchange for catcher Josh Bard, minor-league pitcher Cla Meredith and $100,000, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney is reporting.

Doug Mirabelli

Catcher

San Diego Padres

2006 SEASON STATISTICS

GM HR RBI R OBP AVG

14 0 0 1 .308 .182

Mirabelli, Tim Wakefield's normal catcher last season when Mirabelli was with the Red Sox, will be in the starting lineup Monday night against the Yankees.

The Yankees also tried to obtain Mirabelli to keep him from returning to the Red Sox.

The Red Sox traded Mirabelli to the Padres for second baseman Mark Loretta in December. The Padres' compensation in this latest deal is still unclear.

Mirabelli had been Wakefield's personal catcher in Boston before being traded. In 2005, he batted .228 in just 136 at-bats in 50 games. This season, he is batting .182 in 22 at-bats for the Padres.

He is a career .240 hitter with 47 homers and 165 RBI in 459 career games for Boston, Texas, San Francisco and San Diego.

Bard, who has caught Wakefield's five starts in 2006, leads the major leagues with 10 passed balls.

Johnny awaits Monster night.

Johnny awaits Monster night

Torre lights fire for glow-to-go field of big dreams

By PETER BOTTE

DAILY NEwS SPORTS WRITER

Johnny Damon waves hello to Green Monster tonight in first Fenway appearance as a pinstriper. His welcome, warm or harsh, will add to lore of raucous rivalry.

Joe Torre was animated during the game, and George Steinbrenner was feisty after it.

Nothing better proved that the Yankees were ready for the Red Sox and Johnny Damon's two-day return engagement in Boston beginning tonight — with the teams tied for first place — than the circumstances surrounding their 4-1 victory yesterday over the Blue Jays at the Stadium.

"It's nuts, it's the only way I can describe it," Torre said of the new heights Yankees vs. Red Sox has reached. "The players get caught up in this whole phenomenon. Maybe it's good to just get two games, a taste, and go back two weeks later. But I've never experienced a rivalry like this. I grew up watching the Dodgers and the Giants and that was pretty darn close. But this is unlike any other I've ever been associated with.

"It's going to be nuts."

Torre was referring mostly to the added juice — if that's possible — of Beantown cult hero Damon switching sides and donning pinstripes this season. But he easily could have been talking about what went on before the Yanks boarded their charter flight. That was when Torre and Toronto manager John Gibbons both were ejected by fill-in umpire Adam Dowdy for arguing balls and strikes in the fifth inning.

That led to a throwback eruption by Steinbrenner following a game that included the latest lights-out effort by Mike Mussina and another home run to conclude a stellar April for Jason Giambi. There also was the second consecutive three-hit game for Damon before he returns to Fenway Park in Yankees road grey unsure what the reaction will be when he leads off tonight's game.

Damon, who smoked two home runs and scored a career-high five runs in Saturday's 17-6 rout, expects Boston fans "to cheer what our team accomplished back then" in winning the 2004 World Series but "to boo the fact that I'm a Yankee now."

Former Sox reliever Mike Myers said he expects Damon will receive a standing ovation surpassing the one former Sox shortstop Orlando Cabrera earned upon his return with Anaheim last season. "I don't know how going to Boston or playing them can be any crazier than it's been over the years that I've been here or before I got here," Torre said.

Torre was the center of attention in getting ejected for the first time this season after Mussina kept the Yanks within 1-0 by striking out Shea Hillenbrand to end the visiting fifth. It was one of several tricky spots navigated through six innings by Mussina, whom Torre said "could've thrown more pitches on a normal day but he had to work so hard getting out of jams that he emptied his tank."

"Sometimes 95 (pitches) is more stressful than throwing 115," Mussina added.

Torre admittedly was stressed by Dowdy's strike zone after watching part of the fifth inning on TV. And Alex Rodriguez implied that the manager's fiery ejection sparked "a fire in our butts," as the Yanks scored four runs over the next three innings.

"It wasn't a plan to go out there," Torre said. "When I was with the Mets I used to try to get thrown out to try to stir up some energy somewhere. It certainly wasn't my plan in a close game to get thrown out in the fifth inning. But it turned out fine."

It turned out fine because little-used first baseman Andy Phillips smacked his first home run of the season, an opposite-field shot to right, off Gustavo Chacin with one out in the fifth.

A double by Damon was followed by walks to Jeter and Giambi to load the bases, and Rodriguez also worked a full-count walk after Chacin's 2-2 pitch was called a ball despite appearing to cross the outside of the plate. Gibbons was tossed by Dowdy, a Triple-A umpire filling in for Mike DiMuro, again for arguing balls and strikes, and Giambi added his ninth homer in April in the seventh off reliever Pete Walker for a 4-1 lead.

Relievers Kyle Farnsworth and Mariano Rivera recorded the final nine outs, and the Yanks headed to Boston tied for first despite a 13-10 record the first month of the season.

"Every game (between the two clubs) is important. We've been there so many times and it never gets boring," Rodriguez said.

Let's Go Yankees!!!!!!

i dont know how the sox keep winning with alex gonzalez and mark loretta as their middle infield

Hmm maybe because they have like 2 errors combined, and Lowell leads the league in doubles?

Guest So.Cal Dub

Typical first inning for Wang. Luckily he escaped with only 1 run. Of course he threw like 40 pitches, which means we'll get the long awaited appearance by Small.

Well, let's hope we can turn a double play...but keeping the game tied and giving them baserunners is playing into their hands.

I just have this awful feeling we'll lose by some game winning HR.

Like the Red Sox have had enough of those....<_<

Well, let's hope we can turn a double play...but keeping the game tied and giving them baserunners is playing into their hands.

I just have this awful feeling we'll lose by some game winning HR.

Like the Red Sox have had enough of those....<_<

I have ann awful feeling will lose somehow no matter what the score is

WHY THE FUCK DID WE BRING STURTZE IN???

I TAKE IT BACK WELL LOSE BY LIKE 5 now!!