SportsWrath

Small Aircraft crashes into high-rise on Upper East Side NYC

jranieli

NEW YORK (CNN) -- An aircraft has crashed into the middle of a brick luxury highrise residential building on Manhattan's Upper East Side at 72nd Street and York Avenue, police officials said.

The building is very close to the East River. There was no word on casualties as firefighters battled the flames that shot up from several windows on the 10th story. The Federal Aviation Administration has said a "general aviation" aircraft had hit the building.

A North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) spokesperson told CNN that it had not been tracking the plane.

Witness Sarah Steiner told CNN that fires were burning on the ground. "It looks like the plane just flew into someone's living room there."

"It looks as if the aircraft didn't go into the building but fell down," she said. "It may be part of the debris burning on the ground."

Steiner said that when she arrived, she saw fire shooting out of two windows on approximately the 30th floor of the 50 story building.

Video from the scene shows at least three apartments in the high rise fully engulfed in flames.

30 floors.......... man.... NYFD... tough work.

no elevators today fellas.... time for a hike.

I had my firefighter agility test this past weekend, running up 5 flights w/ a 50 lb hose... that was tough...

30 floor hike to start the job...

I had a building evac drill today- 24 to the ground.... Not too bad

Dinkins once threatened the airports with 250k fines if they dared fly over the US Open while he sat and enjoyed his tennis. How the fuck can we not have some sort of air trafiic control here in this city in lieu of what happened 5 years ago.

30 floors.......... man.... NYFD... tough work.

no elevators today fellas.... time for a hike.

I had my firefighter agility test this past weekend, running up 5 flights w/ a 50 lb hose... that was tough...

30 floor hike to start the job...

10 floors and rest, 10 floors and rest and on and on until your there. I know it would kill me... we just train to walk rather then run - to easy to trip and fall with 55 lbs of turnout gear and ? lbs of hose.

10 floors and rest, 10 floors and rest and on and on until your there. I know it would kill me... we just train to walk rather then run - to easy to trip and fall with 55 lbs of turnout gear and ? lbs of hose.

Where do you work? I'm getting on in Providence RI