SportsWrath

Welcome to the Giants

BlueInCanada

lemson Defensive Coordinator Brett Venables has recruited many top-level talents, but Lawrence may have been the most heralded of them all. He was a top-five recruit nationally and was chased by every blue-blood program in the country after being named the North Carolina state Player of the Year by the Associated Press (91 tackles, 21 for loss, 13 sacks) at Wake Forest High School in North Carolina. It did not take Lawrence long to find the field as a freshman, starting 11 of 15 games to become a Freshman All-American by multiple outlets, ACC Defensive Freshman of the Year, and second-team all-conference after posting 79 tackles, 9.5 for loss, seven sacks, and two blocked kicks. He excelled during the team's national championship run, recording two sacks against Virginia Tech in the ACC Championship Game and four tackles against Alabama in the title game. While his snaps (438 vs. 643 as a freshman) and statistical production (39 tackles, three for loss, 2.5 sacks) were down in 2017, ACC coaches still voted Lawrence first-team all-conference. Lawrence was first-team All-ACC again as a junior, starting 13 games for the Tigers (44 tackles, 7.5 for loss, 1.5 sacks, three pass breakups). He missed the team's two playoff appearances, however, after testing positive for ostarine, a performance-enhancing drug. Lawrence maintained that he did not knowingly ingest the substance.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 1
NFL Comparison
Shaun Rogers
Overview
Massive defensive tackle with the size, length, power and relative athleticism to play a variety of positions in either a 3-4 or 4-3 front. While Lawrence certainly has his share of flashes on tape, he's never really turned into the playmaker that many expected him to become after his freshman year. However, many of the best defenses in the NFL have had interior linemen with the traits and power Lawrence possesses. While he has the ability to play in any scheme, he might be at his best as a read-and-react run-stuffer with the ability to stymie running games with his size and force
Strengths
  • Enormous frame with intimidating combination of size and power
  • Healthier and much quicker in 2018
  • Impressive athletic ability for his size
  • Footwork allows disruptive power to travel down the down the line
  • Agility to defeat or recover quickly from cut blocks
  • Possesses booming upper-body power
  • Disengages from single blocks whenever he wants to
  • Able to thwart seal blocks and mangle down blocks that miss the target
  • Has potential to eat double teams and let his linebackers roam free
  • Ball carriers are finished once he gets his hands on them
  • Punishing bull-rusher with leg drive to constrict pocket space
Weaknesses
  • Has been unable to equal impressive production from freshman season
  • Average rush talent likely to limit draft value
  • Lacks looseness as rusher to find edges
  • Basic rush counters relatively ineffective
  • More reliant upon size over technique at this stage
  • Gets caved by double teams when he doesn't sink his post
  • Inconsistent hand placement/quickness for early control at the point
  • Occasionally shortcuts flow to the ball causing him to lose his fit

So basically he's Tomlinson.

I don't understand the pick, we need pass rushers, so we take a run stopping tackle.

I dunno lol

So we trade the best WR in Giants history, to take a DT who we already have on the team.

OOOOOHHHHH LAWDY.

No... we traded his contract... In retrospect, Getty knew he wouldnt be able to resign Beckum so he did with the intention to get something for him instead of seeing him walk for free in Free Agency....

No... we traded his contract... In retrospect, Getty knew he wouldnt be able to resign Beckum so he did with the intention to get something for him instead of seeing him walk for free in Free Agency....

So instead he wastes a bunch of cap space and dead money to trade him, when they could of traded him before the extension?

Odd.

So instead he wastes a bunch of cap space and dead money to trade him, when they could of traded him before the extension?

Odd.

I think they had a change of heart... the whole thing is odd... my guess is they decided they needed cap space... a lot of it.

Shaun Rogers is a solid player to be compared to, at least.

He seems like a freak of nature, all that size with all that athleticism.

Maybe with some coaching he turns into a force in the pass rushing department as well.

Hoping anyways.

He seems like a freak of nature, all that size with all that athleticism.

Maybe with some coaching he turns into a force in the pass rushing department as well.

Hoping anyways.

I don't see him getting a lot of sacks, but I could definitely see him in the old Keith Hamilton role, where dude's assignment is to blow the fuck out of the blocking scheme and let others rush free. He will help the pass rush, albeit indirectly.

And I like Tomlinson, but Lawrence is way more versatile. Two gaps, one gap, he can do anything in the interior.

So surprised to see Ferrell go before him. I kind of felt like he was cleaning up on the opportunities provided by Wilkins and Lawrence. Maybe I have that backwards? According to the Raiders I guess.

Odd.

Because that was Beckham's play all along to sign a long term deal and then force his way out instead of getting tagged