SportsWrath

Phil Simms: New offense will be easier on Eli

JMFP

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/09/phil-simms-says-giants-new-offense-will-be-easier-on-eli-manning/

Giants quarterback Eli Manning struggled through a miserable 2013 season in which he led the league with a career-high 27 interceptions. But it was offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride, not Manning, who took the fall.

Now Manning is learning the system of new offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo, and former Giants quarterback Phil Simms thinks that’s good news in New York.

I don’t think it’s going to be tough for him,” Simms said of Manning, via Bob Glauber of Newsday. “It’s going to be new information, a new way to do things, but there will be a lot of the same plays that every offense runs, and there will be a new voice telling him and different ways of running those plays.”

Simms thinks McAdoo’s system should do wonders for Manning’s completion percentage, which has dropped from 62.9 percent to 61.0 percent to 59.9 percent to 57.5 percent over the last four seasons.

“I would think this will make it easier on Eli because it will be a more quarterback-friendly system,” Simms said. “I have great respect for Kevin Gilbride winning two Super Bowls. He was worried about hitting four of those big passes every game, and I love that about the Giants’ offense. It wasn’t 17 screens every game. But I would think the West Coast offense and some of the thinking will help the quarterback. It’s not always putting the pressure on the quarterback, which I am a big believer of in today’s game. Give the quarterback 50 percent of his completions as ‘gimmies.’ There are other times you want to make those four or five special throws.”

Simms set off a debate in 2012 when he declared that Manning is not elite. But whether Eli is elite or not, he has to be better this year than he was last year.

OMAHA...OMAHA...the DB just scratched his balls... must be a corner blitz... :D

Yeah... "Omaha..." the signal where the defense knew the snap was next.

Of course, according to Killdrive "nobody figured it out."

I'm pretty sure that removing the 12 pre-snap reads will be a good thing for Eli.

Probably so.......but not having the OL getting blown back into his face every time he drops back to throw will probably help, too.

Yeah... "Omaha..." the signal where the defense knew the snap was next.

Of course, according to Killdrive "nobody figured it out."

Ohama alwasy told me the defense got us figured out so we're going to switch the play to another play the defense also had figured out.

I have no use for Phool Simms or his thoughts. He tries to make his career relevamt by criticizing others.

Me too, he always talks shit about the Giants. I think he's just pissed that Eli won both Championships while Hoss had to bail him out. That and his SON sucks at QB.

Me too, he always talks shit about the Giants. I think he's just pissed that Eli won both Championships while Hoss had to bail him out. That and his SON sucks at QB.

I have no problem with the guy. He's just making a living.

And if Simms is healthy through Super Bowl 25, the Giants don't need wide right to win that game - they win it going away.

I have no problem with the guy. He's just making a living.

And if Simms is healthy through Super Bowl 25, the Giants don't need wide right to win that game - they win it going away.

That's something we'll really never know. It took big balls for Hoss to step up and do what he did.

both of them, right? yeah i used to like him as a commentator. somewhere along the line he got lazy. he seems to phone it in sometimes and then say something dumb to get press. most of the CBS NFL team is like that.

That's something we'll really never know. It took big balls for Hoss to step up and do what he did.

true, Hoss's balls deserved their own zip code. But I never saw anything from Hoss that indicated to me that he was a better player than Simms, who wasn't exactly testicularly challenged either.

true, Hoss's balls deserved their own zip code. But I never saw anything from Hoss that indicated to me that he was a better player than Simms, who wasn't exactly testicularly challenged either.

I know one thing, if that were to happen now with the QB's we have, forget it! :laugh:

I have no use for Phool Simms or his thoughts. He tries to make his career relevamt by criticizing others.

Yeah ...poor Phil...still butt hurt when Young laid the his dismissal in Dan Reeves lap...go ahead take Phil's playbook from him Danny Boy... we have to groom Kid Davey for his new position as the next QB for the NY Giants... :facepalm: :russian-roulette2: :doh:

both of them, right? yeah i used to like him as a commentator. somewhere along the line he got lazy. he seems to phone it in sometimes and then say something dumb to get press. most of the CBS NFL team is like that.

Yes at the beginning he was very good... he explained the game from a players perspective... really broke it down... he had a bit of a candle in the window for the Giants early on...I thought he was the next Pat Summerall...then he turned into Frank Gifford from early Monday Night Football...you know that Gifford who never talked about playing for the Giants during Monday Night Football broadcasts to the point when I found out that he was the same Frank Gifford that played for the Giants I was shocked and flabbergasted... :o Yeah Phil needs to come home...mentally... accept his place in Giants history and just mellow out already.

Yeah ...poor Phil...still butt hurt when Young laid the his dismissal in Dan Reeves lap...go ahead take Phil's playbook from him Danny Boy... we have to groom Kid Davey for his new position as the next QB for the NY Giants... :facepalm: :russian-roulette2: :doh:

Phil was done. He'd had a 14 year run, the early years were really rough on him too. Didn't Cleveland offer him a job and he didn't show?

Yes at the beginning he was very good... he explained the game from a players perspective... really broke it down... he had a bit of a candle in the window for the Giants early on...I thought he was the next Pat Summerall...then he turned into Frank Gifford from early Monday Night Football...you know that Gifford who never talked about playing for the Giants during Monday Night Football broadcasts to the point when I found out that he was the same Frank Gifford that played for the Giants I was shocked and flabbergasted... :o Yeah Phil needs to come home...mentally... accept his place in Giants history and just mellow out already.

That's it, stop with the BS. I'm thankful for all he did, but get back with NY and us fans.

Phil was done. He'd had a 14 year run, the early years were really rough on him too. Didn't Cleveland offer him a job and he didn't show?

Yeah I agree with you...maybe...maybe he had enough to last through the 94 season...and most of that should have been spent grooming his replacement...maybe little Davey might have turned out different...then again maybe not...as nothing was ever Little Davey's fault... :D

I think GA4M hit the nail on the head. He changed when his kid got in the league. He was no longer objective. Now he comes off as bitter.

True that...the first one had mediocre talent...I have never seen the second son play at all...I heard he sucks. He really shocked a lot of people a few years back when he was actively lobbying against the Giants taking any interest in his son... well Baby Simms would wish he had been so lucky...he might have been a second or third stringer for a season or two on a Super Bowl team... ;)

Yeah I agree with you...maybe...maybe he had enough to last through the 94 season...and most of that should have been spent grooming his replacement...maybe little Davey might have turned out different...then again maybe not...as nothing was ever Little Davey's fault... :D

My first reaction (I remember it like it was yesterday) to Dave Brown's signing was "Duke plays Football?"