SportsWrath

Ray Rice - cut by Ravens

gmenroc

They didn't cut him because he hit his wife, they cut him because the video came out.

Not exactly the honorable move.

I get the feeling if they had seen the video from the beginning, they would have done the same thing. At least, I hope they would have.

They didn't cut him because he hit his wife, they cut him because the video came out.

Yeah, but if you're looking at which parties smell the worst, behind Ray Rice comes the NFL...

The NFL denies seing this part of the video prior to today...which I don't believe for second...but whatever. Two people were in the elevator and entered it...together...both conscious. Two people exited the elevator, one unconscious being dragged by the other. The NFL, and everyone else for that matter, knew damn well what went down.

Agree 100% that he got suspended/cut because the video came out. The Ravens come out smelling pretty good, even though the cynic in me thinks they probably knew more and knew earlier than they'll ever let on.

What happens now if Ray Rice somehow can prove that the NFL/Ravens had the newly released video all along? Would he then have legal recourse against outfits like TMZ who just released this video to the world for slandering his name? Would he have have any legal, double-jeopardy type, recourse against the NFL/Ravens if he were to prove they had this video earlier given he was already punished for this (despite the widely accepted 'too light' punishment assessment)?

This was the right move for the Ravens to make. Does anyone know how this affects his $40 million contract extension? I mean, he can't still get paid, can he?

Thought I read that they won't have to pay him anything. NFL contracts aren't guaranteed afterall. I also believe the Ravens may have recourse to recoup some of his signing bonus...but as I just mentioned in my previous post...if the Ravens/NFL can be proven to have had the full video earlier...than the Ravens may simply decide not to pursue the signing bonus recoup.

dead money:

2014: 14.25 mil

2015: 9.5 mil

2016: 4.75 mil

Cut from the ESPN article:

Ravens coach John Harbaugh was expected to talk Monday night after practice. Rice had three years remaining on his contract at $4 million this season, $3 million next season and $3 million in 2016. The Ravens will not owe Rice any money.

Rice's salary-cap number lowers from $8.75 million this season to $4.75 million. Next season, Rice would still be on the Ravens' cap for $9.5 million of dead money.

His signing bonus proration is 4.75 million per year??? How the hell much was his signing bonus?

Yeah I'm with Pdoub on this, if there was no video then nothing would of happened from the NFL or the Ravens.

Let's not think the Giants are some untouchable team, I'm willing to bet there's current players on the team with bad issues that havent been made public yet.

It's a publicity move in the end, if Rice was still the back he was four years ago the Ravens would be talking about how "He's going through community out reach programs to become a better man"

It's a joke.

Yeah I'm with Pdoub on this, if there was no video then nothing would of happened from the NFL or the Ravens.

Let's not think the Giants are some untouchable team, I'm willing to bet there's current players on the team with bad issues that havent been made public yet.

It's a publicity move in the end, if Rice was still the back he was four years ago the Ravens would be talking about how "He's going through community out reach programs to become a better man"

It's a joke.

I also agree

“Ravens didn't penalize Ray Rice for violence against women,” tweeted Newsweek’s Alexander Nazaryan. “They penalized him for getting caught on camera.”

The league holds that it did not see the video before penalizing Rice with a two-game suspension, but sports writer Jason LaConfora suggests they didn't need to: Rice gave them an accurate depiction of events and didn't "sugarcoat" it:

“The NFL needs us to believe it did not see that video, because it needs a public relations answer to it,” wrote ThinkProgress’ Travis Waldron. "The idea that the league used this video in its determination of Rice’s suspension undermines the message that the league cares about and takes violence against women seriously,” he wrote, “a message Goodell has tried to send" since he admitted that an earlier two game suspension of Rice was too lenient.

“Nothing happened today that the NFL and the Ravens didn’t already know,” reads a blog post at Hot Air. “The only thing that changed is that the public, which more or less tolerates domestic abuse by celebrities in the abstract, got a concrete example of how brutal it can be.”

With all that said, he'll be back in the NFL faster than Vick or Burress. Players and teams alike will tell you Ray Rice is a changed man and a great guy. Ray Rice will have just one big game and the fans will forgive and forget as well.

Yeah exactly, haha. This wasn't an honorable move. It was a face-saving move. I don't understand how, like Harbaugh says, that the video made it worse and changes perspectives. Dude, he was guilty, he admitted to punching her, she was clearly knocked unconscious, and he's an NFL football player. What the fuck did you expect to see? Other than a fucking knockout punch? The video confirms what any idiot already knew.

Yeah exactly, haha. This wasn't an honorable move. It was a face-saving move. I don't understand how, like Harbaugh says, that the video made it worse and changes perspectives. Dude, he was guilty, he admitted to punching her, she was clearly knocked unconscious, and he's an NFL football player. What the fuck did you expect to see? Other than a fucking knockout punch? The video confirms what any idiot already knew.

Exactly. I think this was an intentional leak. The NFL didn't expect such a large backlash from his suspension and needed a way to shit can him. Voila, suddenly a video shows what the team and league already knew.