SportsWrath

If we go LB in round 1, who do you want?

parlintm

In my other topic, regarding Accorsi's moves and upgrading the secondary, I threw out a mock draft that included us drafting a LB in round 1. It generated some interest so I thought that this could be a good topic on its own.

I listed my preferences in this order: Howard, Sims, Ryans, Dqwell Jackson, Carpenter

The reason that Howard edges out Sims in my book is because he used to play safety so he's got great hands and is good in coverage, hits like a train and he doesnt have the injury history. I also think Howard has a much higher ceiling than Sims.

Here are the scouting reports on each player:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...omashoward.html

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr.../erniesims.html

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...emecoryans.html

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...ycarpenter.html

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...elljackson.html

Howard didn't have "great hands" in the Senior Bowl, but that's besides the point.

Jackson. He's a great LB.

I think Jackson is the safest pick out of them all. He might be like Tatupa, not the fastest or biggest guy out there but a phenomenal football player.

I missed the senior bowl, what happened?

I think Jackson is the safest pick out of them all. He might be like Tatupa, not the fastest or biggest guy out there but a phenomenal football player.

I missed the senior bowl, what happened?

Apparently had 2 very easy possible picks (think Blackburn against Washington) and dropped them both.

The reason that Howard edges out Sims in my book is because he used to play safety so he's got great hands and is good in coverage, hits like a train and he doesnt have the injury history. I also think Howard has a much higher ceiling than Sims.

Howard dropped two balls thrown directly at him during the senior bowl. I've personally watched Sims make some unbelievable catches, there is nothing wrong with Sims hands just because he is the natural LB. I think its stupid to put one LB ahead of another because you feel he might have better hands "because he played safety".

They are both very good in pass coverage. If you feel he has better potential then Sims, then thats your opinion but I hope you arent basing that on those reasons you just stated. I also dont understand when someone can judge and rank a player so high but has obvoiusly never seen them play. Now I watch a lot of college football and I have never seen a UTEP game on TV. The only explosure I got to Howard was the senior bowl. Which you obvoiusly didnt see. Howard struggled vs the run and taking on blocks. He was good in coverage but dropped two balls thrown directly at him. Some hands...

Sims, IMO, is the better backer. You want reasons I'll give you plenty.

1. He's ready right now. We need a starter if we are drafting a WLB in the first round not a project.

2. Despite his size, he is very good vs the run. Unlike Howard.

3. Rolling on from #2, he doesnt struggle with taking on blocks.

4. Sims is just as good as Howard in pass coverage. In our system and in most defensive systems WLBs are rarely asked to cover. Besides Howards speed thats his only other major positive and he wont be asked to use it very often. With Osi and Strahan we need a LB that can help contribute vs the run.

5. Ernie Sims is a very Intense player who plays very aggresive. Something our defense seriously lacks.

6. Sims is a PLAYMAKER. I seen this guy countless times step up and make a big play for FSU.

7. Sims is all about tradition and has a very good head on his shoulders

8. Scott Wright is wrong about one thing on Sims, Sims has never missed a game in his career. Heres your link

9. Sims is nearly just as fast as Howard and certainly just as quick.

10. Ernie Sims has faced top level competition. Howard has not.

What holds Ernie Sims out of a top 20 pick is two things. Leaving school early and being undersized. Now I'll admit Im really high on Sims, but I have plenty good reasons to be. Right now he's our best option in the first round at WLB.

244524.jpg

lol Thanks Money

Howard dropped two balls thrown directly at him during the senior bowl. I've personally watched Sims make some unbelievable catches, there is nothing wrong with Sims hands just because he is the natural LB. I think its stupid to put one LB ahead of another because you feel he might have better hands "because he played safety".

They are both very good in pass coverage. If you feel he has better potential then Sims, then thats your opinion but I hope you arent basing that on those reasons you just stated. I also dont understand when someone can judge and rank a player so high but has obvoiusly never seen them play. Now I watch a lot of college football and I have never seen a UTEP game on TV. The only explosure I got to Howard was the senior bowl. Which you obvoiusly didnt see. Howard struggled vs the run and taking on blocks. He was good in coverage but dropped two balls thrown directly at him. Some hands...

1. He's ready right now. We need a starter if we are drafting a WLB in the first round not a project.

4. Sims is just as good as Howard in pass coverage. In our system and in most defensive systems WLBs are rarely asked to cover. Besides Howards speed thats his only other major positive and he wont be asked to use it very often. With Osi and Strahan we need a LB that can help contribute vs the run.

5. Ernie Sims is a very Intense player who plays very aggresive. Something our defense seriously lacks.

6. Sims is a PLAYMAKER. I seen this guy countless times step up and make a big play for FSU.

8. Scott Wright is wrong about one thing on Sims, Sims has never missed a game in his career. Heres your link

What holds Ernie Sims out of a top 20 pick is two things. Leaving school early and being undersized. Now I'll admit Im really high on Sims, but I have plenty good reasons to be. Right now he's our best option in the first round at WLB.

Sold.

Demeco Ryans.

While he doesn't have great timed speed, he plays with good game speed and is more athletic than anyone gives him credit for. His football instincts and smarts might be the best in the whole draft, right up there with D'Qwell Jackson. Could stand to bulk up a little bit, but I feel he could come in to camp and start from day one at WILL

If Ryans is gone I would take Simms at 25. Is the prototypical WILL and could also start from day 1

Ernie Sims has bulked up alot, he should be around 230lbs now, which will answer alot of the critics regarding his size

I think D'Qwell Jackson is very similar to Jonathon Vilma, they both have very similar measurables and top intangibles.

Jackson is a fierce LB who would bring back some old school attitude to our OLBs that we have not had for some time. Jackson is a good tackler, good blitzer and has good quicknees and mobility. He also sheds blocks well and has good coverage skills.

D'Qwell Jackson is who I would most like to see at WLB for the Giants

How about this. Which of those guys would you not want to take? Is there anybody there that if we were locked into LB in round 1 and there was only 1 of those guys left, you think it would be a mistake to draft him?

Bobby Carpenter....nothing against him, a very good player in my estimation...but we are set at SAM, and Carpenter is primarily a SAM

How about this. Which of those guys would you not want to take? Is there anybody there that if we were locked into LB in round 1 and there was only 1 of those guys left, you think it would be a mistake to draft him?

I think we could probably trade down to the early 2nd round (for an extra day 1 pick) and still get one of the stud LBs (probably Jackson)

The LB class is ridiculously deep this year and LB is not a premium draft position

Guest Nutty Sack

I'll take anyone who's last name is Simms. As a matter of fact, if we only had Chris at this point our offense would be a worry no more.

dqwellJackson_side.jpg

Then Sims. Then Greenway or Ryans.

Also, I don't understand the fascination with Thomas Howard. So the guy has good size and great speed. Big deal. You can get Brandon Johnson -- a guy with similar size and speed -- in the 3rd or 4th. Howard has bad instincts ... the other guys I listed are better football players. If the Giants were organizing a track team, then Howard would be a nice pick. But since they are organizing a football team, Howard takes a back seat to Jackson, Sims, Greenway, Ryans, and maybe even Rocky McIntosh.

The one I dont want is Thomas Howard. He's a good second round pick but not first round caliber IMO.

dqwellJackson_side.jpg

Also, I don't understand the fascination with Thomas Howard. So the guy has good size and great speed. Big deal. You can get Brandon Johnson -- a guy with similar size and speed -- in the 3rd or 4th. Howard has bad instincts ... the other guys I listed are better football players. If the Giants were organizing a track team, then Howard would be a nice pick. But since they are organizing a football team, Howard takes a back seat to Jackson, Sims, Greenway, Ryans, and maybe even Rocky McIntosh.

You love Rocky McIntosh dont you

dqwellJackson_side.jpg

I have Sims then Jackson, but everything else you said in there I agree 100% with. I also would definitely take Rocky McIntosh over Thomas Howard. I should've added one of those fancy pictures of Sims with my post.

Edited by Pizan

I have Sims then Jackson, but everything else you said in there I agree 100% with. I also would definitely take Rocky McIntosh over Thomas Howard. I should've added one of those fancy pictures of Sims with my post.

244524.jpg

Ernie Sims may be more talented overall but hearing this makes me not want to draft him:

Dealt with some injuries and missed some time with a concussion...Had an off-the-field incident but that was not considered to be indicative of his overall character.

Injuries and off the field problems? No thanks.

AMEN BROTHER!!!!! :rock:

Who said the Irish and the Italians couldn't get along?

Ernie Sims may be more talented overall but hearing this makes me not want to draft him:

Dealt with some injuries and missed some time with a concussion...Had an off-the-field incident but that was not considered to be indicative of his overall character.

Injuries and off the field problems? No thanks.

Dude re-read #8 and click the link