SportsWrath

Soo Alex Smith to the Skins.

BlueInCanada

Fuller had the lowest passer rating allowed from the slot this season according to pro football focus. So the Skins sent a high draft pick, a potentially great young corner, then paid Alex Smith a ton of guaranteed money. They're the Browns with lipstick. Makes the whole franchising Cousins because they couldn't agree to a deal look even worse.

Fuller had the lowest passer rating allowed from the slot this season according to pro football focus. So the Skins sent a high draft pick, a potentially great young corner, then paid Alex Smith a ton of guaranteed money. They're the Browns with lipstick. Makes the whole franchising Cousins because they couldn't agree to a deal look even worse.

A third round pick isnt that big of a "high" draft pick, since by that point in time it's just a crap shoot, I mean if it was the Giants everyone would be saying "JR doesnt draft good third round players so who cares?"

The Redskins are stacked at CB surprisingly, losing Fuller is probably gonna not have any impact on that defense, they need a competent front seven.

Smith is a bridge, they don't need to worry about Cousins who was horribly exposed this year and is going to get the same contract from another team and people are kidding themselves if they think Cousins isnt going to get a 80+ million dollar contract from some desperate team.

They could still pick up one of these QBs who are gonna fall and let them sit behind Smith instead of forcing the kid to play early, and if anything they have dodged a bullet with how Cousins has looked, the guy cant win games when it matters and he cant hit an open WR to save his life.

But they get a 3rd rd pick in 2019 due to Cousins leaving via FA. Not a horrible deal, but I just don't see the logic in bringing a 33 year old qb that is known as a game manager that won't lose the game for you, but won't win it. Although Smith has looked impressive at times and put up some big numbers on occasion, he has two of the better explosive offensive weapons at his disposal in KC.

Just the skins being the skins, and why they've seen a revolving door at qb for 20+ years. Cousins isn't Brady, but he's the best qb they have had in a generation and they fucked it up, should have paid him two years ago.

But they get a 3rd rd pick in 2019 due to Cousins leaving via FA. Not a horrible deal, but I just don't see the logic in bringing a 33 year old qb that is known as a game manager that won't lose the game for you, but won't win it. Although Smith has looked impressive at times and put up some big numbers on occasion, he has two of the better explosive offensive weapons at his disposal in KC.

Just the skins being the skins, and why they've seen a revolving door at qb for 20+ years. Cousins isn't Brady, but he's the best qb they have had in a generation and they fucked it up, should have paid him two years ago.

I mean he might not win games, but he wont lose them like Cousins did.

They traded for a guy they wanted, instead of having to hope to land someone like Keenum or whoever in FA who is going to fetch the same contract that Smith is getting.

Plus Smith is probably coming off his best year as a pro.

But like I said before this place seems to think landing free agents is just as easy as "Hey we have money" and they automatically sign like in Madden.

A third round pick isnt that big of a "high" draft pick, since by that point in time it's just a crap shoot, I mean if it was the Giants everyone would be saying "JR doesnt draft good third round players so who cares?"

The Redskins are stacked at CB surprisingly, losing Fuller is probably gonna not have any impact on that defense, they need a competent front seven.

Smith is a bridge, they don't need to worry about Cousins who was horribly exposed this year and is going to get the same contract from another team and people are kidding themselves if they think Cousins isnt going to get a 80+ million dollar contract from some desperate team.

They could still pick up one of these QBs who are gonna fall and let them sit behind Smith instead of forcing the kid to play early, and if anything they have dodged a bullet with how Cousins has looked, the guy cant win games when it matters and he cant hit an open WR to save his life.

The third rounder can escalate to a first from the little I've read.

I know I'm in the minority, but I've always thought Alex Smith is an underrated QB. Yeah, he's a "game manager," but he wins everywhere he goes... maybe not Super Bowl wins, but he wins.

San Francisco wanted to be really smart by benching Smith for Colin Kaepernick. How did that work out for them? Have they even sniffed the playoffs since he left?

Meanwhile, Kansas City's gone 53-27 with Smith at QB. That's pretty darn good.

The Skins won't be sexy with Smith at QB, but they'll be solid, reliable, and yeah, probably pretty good.

I agree with you about Alex Smith. Him being underrated started because he was drafted higher than Aaron Rodgers.

But, with Kaepernik, Alex suffered a concussion and then never got his job back when he was well because Kaepernik was performing in that offense. And, they did sniff the playoffs that year. Actually they came within 1 play of winning the Super Bowl under Kap.

So... You don't think Reid would pick up Foles, see if the kid is going to sink or swim and if he sinks start Foles? That's classic Andy Reid right there.

I don't- but I could be wrong. I think Foles will want to start somewhere.

Exactly this. Redskins are such a fuck up they actually franchised twice and still couldn't get a deal done. I think the Redskins need a dictionary to look up the word franchise player. When a team franchises a player a long term deal should be done before another franchise tag is needed. This is GM 101.

I think the Redskins gave up quite a bit for the exclusive privilege of signing Alex Smith since the Chiefs were going to get rid of Alex Smith anyway. They really must be convinced that Alex Smith is a significant upgrade over Cousins. Nobody knows Cousins better than the Redskins so clearly they think he is not the future of any franchise.

Better to take a four year investment in Smith over a six year investment in Cousins.

I agree with you about Alex Smith. Him being underrated started because he was drafted higher than Aaron Rodgers.

But, with Kaepernik, Alex suffered a concussion and then never got his job back when he was well because Kaepernik was performing in that offense. And, they did sniff the playoffs that year. Actually they came within 1 play of winning the Super Bowl under Kap.

Yeah I meant after he actually, physically left the team. They were ok with Kaepernick that one year with Smith as a backup and everyone was clamoring for Harbaugh and a rushing QB, but headcase coaches and runners at QB typically have a very short shelf life in this league.

Exactly this. Redskins are such a fuck up they actually franchised twice and still couldn't get a deal done. I think the Redskins need a dictionary to look up the word franchise player. When a team franchises a player a long term deal should be done before another franchise tag is needed. This is GM 101.

They dodged a bullet though and Cousins own greed cost him his place in Washington.

Cousins was exposed and cost himself a few million guaranteed this year.

Atleast with Smith they get a guy who is coming off a career year, and they didnt give up anything besides a third and a corner they didnt need.

And they can still get a franchise QB in the draft.

Instead of the Redskins having to throw the same money at Cousins who has been losing them games, they got Smith and didnt even have to get into a bidding war with some team.

Maybe I'm overvaluing Smith and undervaluing Cousins but the Reskins just got a vastly better at the QB position.

They dodged a bullet though and Cousins own greed cost him his place in Washington.

Cousins was exposed and cost himself a few million guaranteed this year.

Atleast with Smith they get a guy who is coming off a career year, and they didnt give up anything besides a third and a corner they didnt need.

And they can still get a franchise QB in the draft.

Instead of the Redskins having to throw the same money at Cousins who has been losing them games, they got Smith and didnt even have to get into a bidding war with some team.

Maybe I'm overvaluing Smith and undervaluing Cousins but the Reskins just got a vastly better at the QB position.

Time will tell. Chiefs got the better of the deal imo and every time a divisional opponent screws up I consider it a win for us.