SportsWrath

Eli Manning or Phil Simms?

Sephiroth

He tore up his knee and played on for 6 seasons. Unfortunate, but bad luck not a bust. Would you then call TT a bust?

I think these guys were just unlucky. Incidentally, Fredrickson was elected to the Pro Bowl in 1965. Your dad mis-informed you.

Sayers tore his knee up and retired.....back in the day there was not much you could do with a severely torn up knee.

Butkus is a football God.....should not be in this conversation........He's Gods starting MLBer.

If you did not see Fredrickson play, you are really not real qualified to comment. The guy was sensational for the short period he was healthy. To this day, I've never seen a man hit the LOS as hard as Tucker Fredrickson, he hit full force and with authority. As you can imagine getting Jim Brown to comment that the guy could not survive his own violence was not an idle comment.

I reserve bust for the Rocky Thompson's and Ramses Barden's of the NFL world

because even the punter, who usually got to represent the giants in the pro bowl, sucked that year. :barman:

Hey I liked Fredrickson on pure effort alone..........does seem odd a guy with 700 yds rushing should make the bowl

Machts Nichts!..........I want another Super Bowl......for once I want to see a full season of excellence right through to the Lombardi......one wonders though if NE, Pitts, and Packers would have those kinds of SB years if they were an NFC East team.

Lets Go Big Blue!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Tucker was Fran's TE...........guy was an ACE

Tarkenton is/was probably the best QB to ever strap on the NY Giants helmet......I'm old enough to remember his magic

Eli is great, or has become great..........Fran is in the HOF, and was fantastic.

Fran was THE MAN from the moment he entered the league- Imagine Drew Brees, much more elusive. I swear he had eyes in the back of his head.

I could not for the life of me imagine why the Giants sent him back to Minn

I'd say

#1 Fran

#2 Eli (if he can keep it up)..........his 1st 4 yrs were Sanchezian

#3- Simms

#4- YA Tittle

I'm sorry, but any list that has Tittle in 4th place in the history of this team is just wrong.

Tittle was a 2-time NFL MVP, Hall of Famer, and a guy that held a single season touchdown record that lasted until another HOFer broke it 20 years later. First player to have consecutive 30 td seasons. In 14 game seasons, mind you. That's in the 4 years he was a Giant. You have to wonder what would have happened if we got him sooner in his career with all of the late 50's "bridesmaid" teams we had...

You want to put Tarkington ahead of him, ok. I question that, but fine; at least they're on the same plateau. Simms? No way did he have the career to justify that--whether he was at fault or not, he just didn't have that kind of impact. Eli isn't there yet. Yet. I think before he's done, he will be.

And before you argue about Tittle's length of service on the Giants, then what about Charlie Connerly? Long career here, MVP winner, multiple championship games, and a ring--all with the Giants, and very similar to Simms, albeit a better resume.

Let's face it--in the Superbowl era, we've had more shitty QBs than good ones, so Simms really stands out. But ranking him above some of the guys you're brushing aside is obscene.

1. Benny Friedman (20 td passes in 1929! That's LT-impact on how the game is played. Grandpoppa Mara bought a team to get him!)

2. Tittle (what he did with what was then an already old team was incredible)

3. Connerly (length of service nod--and he did win one championship in the 3-4 championship games he played)

4. Eli (Had Tarkington before him, but thinking about it, 2 SB rings/MVPs on the Gints trumps 4 losses while with MN)

5. Simms (The more I think about it, the less I think of Tarkington as a Giant)

6. Tarkington (although I think his best years were with MN, he did play here)

I'm speaking in terms of impact here--obviously Simms holds most of the career stats, if only because of the length of time he played and when he played. I think Eli will change that. And each player I have ranked above Simms was considered one of the top QBs of their time--even Eli, at this point. No one ever said that about Simms. And I still hold out hope for Simms hitting the HOF between his QB career and commentator career.

sorry but that's brain dead.......you can do better than that.....who was the punter?

you missed the point. let me jack it down for you. every team got to send one player to the pro bowl.

for the giants of that era, it was usually the punter. because they sucked. tucker got sent more because he was a well known figure than his talent.