SportsWrath

Manning to take a $4M paycut to help the team

Nas

Peyton that is...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12420422/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-close-agreement-new-contract

Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos are near agreement on a new contract for the 2015 season in which the five-time NFL MVP will take a $4 million pay-cut to provide more cash for the team to do business on the free agent market, which opens with the new league year on March 10.

Manning will make $15 million in base salary in 2015, league and team sources said, down from the $19 million he was scheduled to earn.

The contract is not final until Manning passes a physical exam, which he is expected to take within 24 hours, sources said. Other minor details on the contract also are being finalized, a team source said.

I still don't understand why some franchise player who ends up setting his team back 20 million a year against the cap, cant just one day decided to play for vet minimum after banking some money.

Imagine if Eli just said "I have enough money, resign me to vet minimum for the next five years and go sign some players who will help us win"

I understand the NFL is a multi-billion dollar business but I'm just surprised we havent seen this yet.

I still don't understand why some franchise player who ends up setting his team back 20 million a year against the cap, cant just one day decided to play for vet minimum after banking some money.

Imagine if Eli just said "I have enough money, resign me to vet minimum for the next five years and go sign some players who will help us win"

I understand the NFL is a multi-billion dollar business but I'm just surprised we havent seen this yet.

Maybe not a vet minimum because a few million bucks sounds like a lot for us average folks but humans tend to always want more... But a hometown discount similar to what Brady did... maybe nice....

Peyton was one of the guys who held out over the new CBA despite being one of the highest paid player in the league. He certainly would never play for the vet min.

I think it may have something to do with the players union not wanting star players taking less than market value. Could hurt the value of similar players.

Pretty sure a baseball player fairly recently was going too the less than what was being offered and the mlb union wouldn't let him.

Probably because every football organization doesn't say "You simply outplayed your contract this year and we have some extra cap space so we are going to pay you more money without extending your contract"

There is no justification for Eli to be the third or fourth highest paid QB in the league. You almost want him to play out the last year and let him go, put that money towards adding a few stars, and letting Nassib take the reins. I said ALMOST... ok not even almost!

I think Tom Brady does something similar to this... he's like the 12th-highest paid QB in the league.

Seems to work pretty well for the Pats.

Yup, Brady's market value is roughly 2.5 times what he's actually making. He's already filthy rich, he wants to win. Winning also brings in additional income opportunities.

The odd thing is, I'm pretty sure the Patriots don't spend the extra money. Aren't they one of the five teams that are being forced to spend more money this offseason?

I think Tom Brady does something similar to this... he's like the 12th-highest paid QB in the league.

Seems to work pretty well for the Pats.

Isn't this though because of creative contract manipulation? I read that his contract will more than likely run into his retirement. With the way Eli is constantly re-structuring this could happen to the Giants also.