53 man prediction

Allstarjim

OFFENSE (25)

QB: Eli Manning, Ryan Nassib

RB: Rashad Jennings, Andre Williams, Peyton Hillis, Michael Cox

FB: Henry Hynoski

WR: Reuben Randle, Victor Cruz, Odell Beckham, Preston Parker, Corey Washington

TE: Larry Donnell, Kellen Davis, Adrien Robinson

OL: Will Beatty, Geoff Schwartz, J.D. Walton, Brandon Mosley, Justin Pugh, Weston Richburg, John Jerry, Charles Brown, James Brewer, Jamaal Johnson-Webb

DEFENSE:

DL: Mathias Kiwanuka, Johnathan Hankins, Cullen Jenkins, Jason Pierre-Paul, Damontre Moore, Robert Ayers, Jay Bromley, Mike Patterson, Israel Idonije

LB: Jon Beason, Jacquian Williams, Jameel McClain, Devon Kennard, Spencer Paysinger, Mark Herzlich

CB: Prince Amukamara, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Walter Thurmond, Trumaine McBride, Bennett Jackson, Zack Bowman

S: Antrell Rolle, Stevie Brown, Quentin Demps, Nat Berhe

Specials:

K Josh Brown, P Steve Weatherford, LS Zack DeOssie

Notable Cuts: Curtis Painter, Mario Manningham, Jerrel Jernigan, Trindon Holliday, Kendall Gaskins, John Conner, Daniel Fells, Julian Talley, Eric Herman, Dallas Reynolds, Markus Kuhn, Kerry Wynn, Jayron Hosley (I expect him to be cut, even though he can simply go on the suspended list).

I tend to agree, but I could easily see keeping 6 WRs given Bechkam's recovery from the hamstring.

10 offensive linemen also seems heavy, but given injuries there, I could definitely see that happeining, though I don't know anything of this Johnson-Webb player whereas I've at least heard of Herman and Reynolds...so while 10 offensive linemen is foreseeable, that 10th guy I'm not so sure about (splitting hairs, I know). Point is, to get the 6th WR, we'd need to drop another guy and this 10th linemen might be the one, but that's a tough call given the injuries/depth issues we have. I think I'd rather drop Idonije off the defensive line or one of either Paysinger/Herzlich to include the 6th WR.

Who would you drop off to get the 6th WR if that's the direction the Giants go?

I would agree with that with a couple of exceptions.

I think they keep Jernigan over Parker

and they might go for a surprise with Gaskins over Cox.

Also not sure if Herzlich hangs on

Agree Jernigan over Parker

I think Cox stays.

I think Herzlich stays.

I think the carry 3 QBs again, because Coughlin has a thing for older vets.....(see Josh Brown over McManus)

Joe .....I just cant see Painter staying .......we cant afford the roster spot ( but you may of course be right ....who knows with the old Colonel )

Practically speaking, if Eli goes down, we're screwed regardless of if Painter or Nassib is the backup. Might as well go with Nassib since he's developmental and has upside, whereas Painter has none.

Nassib has outplayed Painter and he's much cheaper. If Painter stays, he has to be third string, and I don't see how you pay a guy that much to be 3rd string. Point taken on wide receivers, I picked Jernigan to be cut but given that ODB hasn't played a snap yet, and Washington has not played real competition yet, I actually think you guys are right and they will keep him, and there will be 6 receivers. Swap Jernigan with Zack Bowman (could be Idonije). Bowman has not had a good preseason at all.

I think they keep Parker, though. He has return/special teams ability and he can contribute on offense. Jernigan is not a good ST'er. That's why I like Parker over JJ.

Right, that's what I'm saying. Painter provides no value to the roster, even in the event of Eli getting hurt, therefore he should be cut.

I think you're pretty close Jim; agree with JJ as WR insurance at the cost of Bowman, and I think Herzlich sticks over a 10th OL. I thought both Ayers and Idonije made a case for sticking, and I think there's an unspoken "?" hanging over JPP. He's shown nothing so far to make me believe he's going to have a bounce-back year.

Not sure how Parker would perform out of the slot, where JJ backs up Cruz. I think that's the primary reason for keeping JJ, not to mention he has some experience with Eli. And absolutely, PP's ST ability definitely earns him a roster spot, especially in light of OBJ's and Holiday's injuries.

Practically speaking, if Eli goes down, we're screwed regardless of if Painter or Nassib is the backup. Might as well go with Nassib since he's developmental and has upside, whereas Painter has none.

Nassib has outplayed Painter and he's much cheaper. If Painter stays, he has to be third string, and I don't see how you pay a guy that much to be 3rd string. Point taken on wide receivers, I picked Jernigan to be cut but given that ODB hasn't played a snap yet, and Washington has not played real competition yet, I actually think you guys are right and they will keep him, and there will be 6 receivers. Swap Jernigan with Zack Bowman (could be Idonije). Bowman has not had a good preseason at all.

I don't disagree with you guys, but in the end, I think Coughlin will want a veteran backup on the team, and will carry 3 QBs.

EDIT/UPDATE: Painter need arthroscopic knee surgery, and is expected to miss 4+ weeks. Might alter my prediction.