SportsWrath

After sleeping on it, here's what I think about the first day of the draft.

Sephiroth

Meh, all the fans homering over picking Jones at #6 believe Denver were targeting him, even though Denver didn't draft a QB until the 3rd round. Those same fans would be laughing at whichever team swooped in to take Jones, if that's how it played out.

Meanwhile we let a blue chip edge rusher, a HUGE need for us, slip straight past us.

Meh, all the fans homering over picking Jones at #6 believe Denver were targeting him, even though Denver didn't draft a QB until the 3rd round. Those same fans would be laughing at whichever team swooped in to take Jones, if that's how it played out.

Meanwhile we let a blue chip edge rusher, a HUGE need for us, slip straight past us.

Exactly. Even if another team jumps head of us at 17 and that's assuming we don't trade up to get him, who cares? So what if he goes to Denver or any other team? He wasn't touted as this can't miss sure fire QB... We let Josh Allen go to Jacksonville... I would have been very happy with the draft as is with Allen instead of Jones...

I don't know about Denver, but there are a few rumblings that Cincinnati was going to take Jones too (Bengals fans are happy about us taking him first, LOL).

I also believe the story about Dan Snyder taking over the Washington draft.... supposedly Jones was at the top of their QB board, but Snyder wanted Haskins and was forcing that pick regardless. Nothing to go off there but rumor, but that's like the most Dan Snyder thing ever.

I'm still kind of salty that we let Josh Allen get by us, but after squinting real hard at Daniel Jones for several days I'm starting to see the appeal. You've really got to try to see it though, LOL.

Exactly. Even if another team jumps head of us at 17 and that's assuming we don't trade up to get him, who cares? So what if he goes to Denver or any other team? He wasn't touted as this can't miss sure fire QB... We let Josh Allen go to Jacksonville... I would have been very happy with the draft as is with Allen instead of Jones...

Not just that, Josh Rosen could have been had for our 2nd.

We could have had Josh Allen, Dexter Lawrence, Josh Rosen, and kept our extra 4th and 5th. These people saying, 'well, you don't know what would have happened!" is hogwash... the Giants would have gotten Josh Rosen for a 2nd round pick.

Time will tell who's the better QB, but I think I'd rather have those guys instead of the ones we got. We still ended up with 2 very capable corners and have essentially another rookie CB in Sam Beal.

That being said, I'm rooting for Daniel Jones.

Denver traded down shortly AFTER we picked Jones, dude. They were targeting Jones.

Denver traded down shortly AFTER we picked Jones, dude. They were targeting Jones.

So what? It's been said time and again that the play of the OL was our biggest problem.... The team has improved the OL (Guard from Cleveland and Center coming back from injury)... now if we had drafted Josh Allen and the Tackle Philadelphia got, we would've been set for years to come on both sides of the ball... and Eli's replacement could have waited one more year where in 2020 you have some sure fire QBs...

Hard to believe Miami got Rosen for less than a 2nd round pick.... I wanted him for that price, but its pretty telling that interest around the league was that tepid. There must be something known in the league that isn't known to the public.

The moment that Rosen became the second QB on that roster his value plummeted. Then when the Giants and Redskins both took QB's his value dropped even lower.

The moment that Rosen became the second QB on that roster his value plummeted. Then when the Giants and Redskins both took QB's his value dropped even lower.

Exactly.. which is why the Giants should have known he can be had with a 2nd rounder... and that's assuming the FO even wanted him...

Exactly.. which is why the Giants should have known he can be had with a 2nd rounder... and that's assuming the FO even wanted him...

but there was no full blooming love for Rosen. Really, even if Jones does work out, we should fire Gett for saying that alone.

The only FO that wanted him was Miami apparently.

All the teams that drafted a QB could of had Rosen for a second round pick, instead they all chose to pass and grab a QB this draft.

People act like Rosen was a worth whole QB when even he was considered a drastic reach for the Cardinals when drafted.

Besides I'd take Baker 10 times over instead of using the second on Rosen.

Elway told Peter King that Lock was their top QB, and they considered trading up from 10 to make sure they got Lock.... but, if that were true, they wouldn't have traded back from 10, then passed on Lock for three more picks.

Definitely has the ring of truth that Jones was their top QB.

Elway told Peter King that Lock was their top QB, and they considered trading up from 10 to make sure they got Lock.... but, if that were true, they wouldn't have traded back from 10, then passed on Lock for three more picks.

Definitely has the ring of truth that Jones was their top QB.

No FO is going to admit that the player they wanted was drafted and had to settle.

Look at the year Mahomes was drafted, a ton of reports came out saying the Giants were desperately trying to trade up and grab hhim due to MacAttack man crush on the kid.

But after the draft they just said the same thing "Oh we were never rally interested on him, different values, blah blah blah"

Or when the Bucs traded ahead of the Giants for that TE there and we had to settle for Engram.

I guess people just find it hard to believe that Giants wanted Jones and instead just took him in spite of everything.

All the teams that drafted a QB could of had Rosen for a second round pick, instead they all chose to pass and grab a QB this draft.

People act like Rosen was a worth whole QB when even he was considered a drastic reach for the Cardinals when drafted.

I don't recall that being the case.

My contention was that our FO wasn't exactly in love with Rosen either...

So what? It's been said time and again that the play of the OL was our biggest problem.... The team has improved the OL (Guard from Cleveland and Center coming back from injury)... now if we had drafted Josh Allen and the Tackle Philadelphia got, we would've been set for years to come on both sides of the ball... and Eli's replacement could have waited one more year where in 2020 you have some sure fire QBs...

Like I quoted him, Denver may have waited til the 3rd, but they traded down from their pick after the Giants picked. Theres no way of knowing they werent after Jones. But I suspect they traded down because the Giants picked him, as reports suggested they were after him. Regardless, it had nothing to do with the drivel you just posted so Im not sure why you wasted your time.

From Bleacher Report (which is not as awful as it used to be):

The Giants Panicked

Talking with sources, it was apparent general manager Dave Gettleman wanted to control this draft process and limit knowledge of his draft plans because the Giants had become notorious for leaks in the previous regime.

The Giants instead leaked to multiple media members various plans for the 2019 first round once the team owned picks Nos. 6 and 17 overall. Some reports had them loving Ohio State's Dwayne Haskins, while others would point to a desire to add defenders with the two first-round picks. In the end, it was all wrong, as Gettleman kept his love for Duke's Daniel Jones relatively quiet before the week of the draft.

Jones, at No. 6 overall, was considered the most controversial selection in Round 1 after talking to various league sources in the draft's aftermath. And many believe the Giants panicked into thinking Jones had to be the selection at No. 6.

"There is no way he was going anywhere else in the top 17 picks," said one plugged-in executive for an AFC team. "We run mock drafts and run through the scenarios and I hadn't heard of one team that wanted Jones other than them."

4ea27ced1e02d75c3191a011b698ba77_crop_ex
Michael Conroy/Associated Press

Gettleman, believing that he had to get his quarterback with the pick at No. 6, refused to gamble and instead missed out on the premium pass-rushers in the 2019 class. The Giants were left with defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence on the board—a player who profiles very closely to a lineman the team already has in Dalvin Tomlinson.

What should they have done?

"The smart move is draft a pass-rusher [at No. 6] and then try to trade back up for the quarterback if you have to, but I still don't think they would have had to," said the same executive.

Many in the media reported that Jones was the top or at least second quarterback on many draft boards, but both before and after the draft, of roughly the quarter of the league teams I polled, I couldn't find any team other than the Giants who had Jones ranked in the top two passers.