SportsWrath

Elliot suspension reinstated

Lughead

Sigh...

I can't believe I actually sat here and read through this entire thread. Anyway, I feel the need to throw my $0.02 in. As my sister eloquently stated when the Kaepernick protest began, we are the grandchildren of not one but two World War 2 Vets. However, their service did not in any way excuse them or their families from dealing with any of the inequalities, bigotry, skin-pigmentation based hatred, nor injustice that other Black Americans faced. Many who are upset with the protests during the anthem (NOT PROTESTING THE ANTHEM OR THE FLAG ITSELF) are stating their disproval due to the protesters "disrespecting the flag and all those who fought for freedom" however both of our grandfathers went and fought for a country that at the time didn't even respect them enough to consider them a full human being. THAT is disrespect. This protest is nothing more than an exercise in one's rights as an American citizen.

I had to look it up when I heard it, but article S8 of the flag code lists ways the country sees as disrespecting the flag (the symbol isnt actually an S... my phone keyboard just doesnt have the correct one). Nowhere in the flag code does it list sitting/kneeling/stretching/doing jumpingjacks/drinking/getting a blow job /etc during the anthem as disrespectful. In fact it doesn't even mention requiring standing during the anthem at all. During the Pledge if Allegiance, yes. Anthem, nowhere to be found. http://www.military.com/flag-day/us-flag-code.html

I honestly wish there were no need to protest, but whether you like it or not, there are plenty of reasons to. We live in a world where trained officers who are allowed to carry firearms are also allowed to unnecessarily panic and claim fear, while unarmed civilians have to remain calm and with guns pointed in our faces. When I get pulled over in Upper Saddle River because "I don't belong there"... when I get followed half my ride home from Pomptom Plains to East Orange by the Passiac County Sheriff every day for months... When I have a traffic officer signal for me to make a left turn and then literally jump on the hood of my car yelling "WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR PROBLEM, RETARD!?" When an officer pulls me over for legally passing another driver on the right (it is allowed in certain circumstances) and tells me to "shut the fuck up and take these 3 tickets" when I explain how I didn't break any law... when one of my coworkers is beaten senseless by Jersey City police in a case of at best mistaken identity... there are plenty of reasons to protest. And it isn't just the ill-suited officers that are the problem. It's the justice system as a whole that needs changing. Protesters don't just want the unjustified killings to stop. They want those who have killed unjustly and loosely claimed "I felt my life was in danger" every single time to be held accountable for their actions and no amount of meeting with police and city/state officials has worked, so the athletes whose voices and actions can reach many more, carry much more weight and cause much more change are using their platform to attempt to spark that change.

I am with the train of thought that we need to get these talks going to create the change that is so desperately needed in this country, but until leaders like "45" and the other governing bodies that are responsible for the inequality and injustice, whether directly or by association, are willing to listen and be open-minded about said change, the protests need to continue and make as many people uncomfortable as possible.

And to anyone (haven't seen it here but I've heard it plenty) stating "stand or get the fuck out of my country"... respect my rights as an American citizen and my desire to hold America and its flag and its pledge of allegiance to its word that we are all created equal... or get the fuck out of MY country. #endrant

From a thread in the P&R section. Just because you don't see or personally experience inequality doesn't mean it isn't there.

Just yesterday in Verona, NJ another of my coworkers was pulled over, detained, issued 3 tickets and nearly arrested because of an officer's unwillingness to accept that she wasn't the person he was searching for (bench warrant). The tickets (One of which was a duplicate ticket) weren't even legitimate. 1 (the one this uninformed officer wrote out twice) was for failing to yield to traffic at an intersection with a yield sign. There was no traffic and therefore no reason to yield (dash cam evidence). The 2nd was for operating a commercial vehicle with a normal license. Our trucks max out at 17,950lbs... Cdl vehicles START at 26,001. The issue behind this story is the route that goes through Verona doesn't get many ethnic drivers assigned to it. It's mainly Caucasian drivers. None of them have ever come back with tickets nor stories like this from this route.

The things I've dealt with (aside from my co-worker getting nearly beaten to death in Jersey City) have been relatively minor, but still show that there is a serious problem with how minorities are treated by SOME of the police force. For the most part I've gotten away unharmed, but who's to say the next time I encounter an officer they won't "feel threatened" by the 6'00" 250lb black man that may not have shaved for a couple days? Then it's "Wow... where'd Dragon go?" while the rest of SW is watching the news reporting how the officer is acquitted... just like all the rest that kill unarmed civilians.

Just saw that...Dragon beat me to the punch here. How ridiculous that this guy gets suspended, and unsuspended...what, 4 or 5 times now? And the article I read said it's likely he won't serve it until next season now...it's a joke.

What would you or I be doing if faced with the allegations he is faced with? Likely sitting in a cell somewhere.

Sigh...

From a thread in the P&R section. Just because you don't see or personally experience inequality doesn't mean it isn't there.

Just yesterday in Verona, NJ another of my coworkers was pulled over, detained, issued 3 tickets and nearly arrested because of an officer's unwillingness to accept that she wasn't the person he was searching for (bench warrant). The tickets (One of which was a duplicate ticket) weren't even legitimate. 1 (the one this uninformed officer wrote out twice) was for failing to yield to traffic at an intersection with a yield sign. There was no traffic and therefore no reason to yield (dash cam evidence). The 2nd was for operating a commercial vehicle with a normal license. Our trucks max out at 17,950lbs... Cdl vehicles START at 26,001. The issue behind this story is the route that goes through Verona doesn't get many ethnic drivers assigned to it. It's mainly Caucasian drivers. None of them have ever come back with tickets nor stories like this from this route.

The things I've dealt with (aside from my co-worker getting nearly beaten to death in Jersey City) have been relatively minor, but still show that there is a serious problem with how minorities are treated by SOME of the police force. For the most part I've gotten away unharmed, but who's to say the next time I encounter an officer they won't "feel threatened" by the 6'00" 250lb black man that may not have shaved for a couple days? Then it's "Wow... where'd Dragon go?" while the rest of SW is watching the news reporting how the officer is acquitted... just like all the rest that kill unarmed civilians.

More white people have are shot on a per police interaction basis than black people.

I myself got a ticket in which the officer refused to accept it wasn't me. It doesn't necessarily mean it's racially motivated. I did what you are supposed to do, took it to court, didn't even hire a lawyer, and got the ticket dismissed. I know several cops, they are normal people. Most don't ever discharge their service weapon. Most want to help people and take care of their families, go home after work and watch the game like the rest of us. There is no epidemic as is what is being claimed, it's just nonsense.

People need to stop looking at each other in terms of racial identity. We are all people. The problem with the world is based on whatever race, sexual orientation, or fill in the blank that the perceived victim is, the worst is assumed in terms of motive on the perceived "perpetrator", many times, an officer.

And then there is the fact that a lot of people selectively edit their story when the tell people the facts of what happened, and people's confirmation bias just takes over from there. Which is why everyone went ballistic over hands up, don't shoot, when in reality...never happened.

There are instances of racism, not debatable. There are horrible people who are horrible to others. When every instance of every bad thing is national news in a country of 400 million people, splattered all over every blog, Yahoo, or HuffPo article, it gives the impression the problem is a lot worse than it really is. It's unrealistic to think that racism, or whatever other bad thing you can think of, sexual assault, murder, anything...fill in the blank, will be completely eradicated in our world. There will always be those out there that can't play nice with others, just like there's always going to be someone out there that claims the aliens visit them at night. It doesn't mean our worldview has to be that we are being invaded by aliens. When I look around, and I see people claim all this victim-hood, I look at the people I know, the people I grew up with, that look like them, and wonder why they aren't victims too. Are they just lucky? Or did they just make different choices?

I honestly feel bad for the victims of racism. By the way, most people I think are or will be victims of racism in their lifetime. And I'm talking about people of every color. I personally have, on more than one occasion. But I chalk it up to, "their problem, not mine," and move on with my life.

Yeah, we've all heard it, but racism doesn't quite have the same sting to it when the one spewing hateful racist shit has no power over their target. It's a whole different story when the authority is in the hands of the racist.

Jim, you've been posting enough over the years that I know you mean well, but think about what you just said - because Michael Brown basically committed suicide by cop ('hands up, don't shoot', truly not applicable in the Michael Brown case), therefore police have never killed somebody who was breaking no law and complying with their orders ('never happened')? That simply doesn't stand up to even the most cursory research. (And if your point is merely that Michael Brown was a terrible poster child for the BLM movement, I wholly agree).

Likewise with the study you love to mention whenever the topic arises, which supposedly found that white people are killed at a higher rate by police than minorities. I am pretty sure we dissected that here, and it didn't hold up to my standards. Perhaps we can take that over to P&R though, I think I've already said enough for these parts.

More white people have are shot on a per police interaction basis than black people.

I myself got a ticket in which the officer refused to accept it wasn't me. It doesn't necessarily mean it's racially motivated. I did what you are supposed to do, took it to court, didn't even hire a lawyer, and got the ticket dismissed. I know several cops, they are normal people. Most don't ever discharge their service weapon. Most want to help people and take care of their families, go home after work and watch the game like the rest of us. There is no epidemic as is what is being claimed, it's just nonsense.

People need to stop looking at each other in terms of racial identity. We are all people. The problem with the world is based on whatever race, sexual orientation, or fill in the blank that the perceived victim is, the worst is assumed in terms of motive on the perceived "perpetrator", many times, an officer.

And then there is the fact that a lot of people selectively edit their story when the tell people the facts of what happened, and people's confirmation bias just takes over from there. Which is why everyone went ballistic over hands up, don't shoot, when in reality...never happened.

There are instances of racism, not debatable. There are horrible people who are horrible to others. When every instance of every bad thing is national news in a country of 400 million people, splattered all over every blog, Yahoo, or HuffPo article, it gives the impression the problem is a lot worse than it really is. It's unrealistic to think that racism, or whatever other bad thing you can think of, sexual assault, murder, anything...fill in the blank, will be completely eradicated in our world. There will always be those out there that can't play nice with others, just like there's always going to be someone out there that claims the aliens visit them at night. It doesn't mean our worldview has to be that we are being invaded by aliens. When I look around, and I see people claim all this victim-hood, I look at the people I know, the people I grew up with, that look like them, and wonder why they aren't victims too. Are they just lucky? Or did they just make different choices?

I honestly feel bad for the victims of racism. By the way, most people I think are or will be victims of racism in their lifetime. And I'm talking about people of every color. I personally have, on more than one occasion. But I chalk it up to, "their problem, not mine," and move on with my life.

Like everyone else... it's not happening to me directly so it doesn't actually happen.

Why the hell do people not see that THERE ARE MORE WHITE PEOPLE IN THE UNITED STATES AND THEREFORE THEY ARE MORE LIKELY TO INTERACT WITH AND BE SHOT BY POLICE!!!!!!! People of color are still infinitely more likely to be shot. Its really not that hard to understand and you completely ignored the fact that its not just people getting shot that is the problem. It's the clear lack of accountability afterwards.

White woman calls the cops to her house... gets shot for literally no reason. Cops swiftly convicted.

Black man cooperating with police by following every instruction gets shot and killed in front of his family... acquitted.

You still don't see the difference? Both instances the officers involved were dead wrong and yet why was only one case dealt with properly?

This here is EXACTLY what I mean by people opening their minds and stop brushing shit like this off. There is no reason why I should have a gun pointed in my face during a normal traffic stop especially not when I'm fully cooperating. Yet it's way more likely to happen to me than to you and the fact that people like you continue to ignore the issue and sweep it under the rug cause you aren't directly dealing with it makes it that much worse. Please... live a day in my skin before you claim people are falsifying what happens to them.

Like everyone else... it's not happening to me directly so it doesn't actually happen.

Why the hell do people not see that THERE ARE MORE WHITE PEOPLE IN THE UNITED STATES AND THEREFORE THEY ARE MORE LIKELY TO INTERACT WITH AND BE SHOT BY POLICE!!!!!!! People of color are still infinitely more likely to be shot. Its really not that hard to understand and you completely ignored the fact that its not just people getting shot that is the problem. It's the clear lack of accountability afterwards.

White woman calls the cops to her house... gets shot for literally no reason. Cops swiftly convicted.

Black man cooperating with police by following every instruction gets shot and killed in front of his family... acquitted.

You still don't see the difference? Both instances the officers involved were dead wrong and yet why was only one case dealt with properly?

This here is EXACTLY what I mean by people opening their minds and stop brushing shit like this off. There is no reason why I should have a gun pointed in my face during a normal traffic stop especially not when I'm fully cooperating. Yet it's way more likely to happen to me than to you and the fact that people like you continue to ignore the issue and sweep it under the rug cause you aren't directly dealing with it makes it that much worse. Please... live a day in my skin before you claim people are falsifying what happens to them.

But but but, he's knows and talked to black people who have "beat the system", so obviously he is a better expert on your life and your skin colour than you are.

Dragon, I don't mean to offend, but a per police interaction basis accounts for different population percentages. More white people would mean more interactions if all things were equal, but THE RATE at which people on a per interaction basis are shot by cops adjusts for racial percentage differences, and yet white people are still shot more often. If there was systemic racism in policing, that would not be the case. But that's because there isn't systemic racism in policing. It doesn't even pass logical thinking...why would there be? Police forces across the country are very diverse.

Dragon, I don't mean to offend, but a per police interaction basis accounts for different population percentages. More white people would mean more interactions if all things were equal, but THE RATE at which people on a per interaction basis are shot by cops adjusts for racial percentage differences, and yet white people are still shot more often. If there was systemic racism in policing, that would not be the case. But that's because there isn't systemic racism in policing. It doesn't even pass logical thinking...why would there be? Police forces across the country are very diverse.

Jim I'm not coming at you aggressively because I have an issue with you. I have an issue with this blinders attitude people seem to have about this problem. Fact is, for one reason or another, people of color are viewed as "threats" much more often than Caucasians and the same goes for the police.

I had a situation about 2 weeks ago in an area of Staten Island (Idk where cause idk the sections like that) trying to make a delivery. The customer (an elderly woman) was very slow coming to the door to let me in so I was left standing on her porch for about 10 minutes. In those 10 minutes 2 officers walked by 3 times, the final time one of the 2 has his hand on his still holstered gun when she finally came and opened the door for me. So... what would've happened had she left me out there for a few minutes longer? And why was this officer ready to draw his gun in a guy clearly in a work uniform with both his arms full of groceries?

Also... there's this... https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/post-nation/wp/2016/07/11/arent-more-white-people-than-black-people-killed-by-police-yes-but-no/

And this... http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/cobb-county/officer-to-woman-during-traffic-stop-we-only-kill-black-people-right/600704431

And I really want to see the end result of this... https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/new-york/nyc-crime/brooklyn-cops-accused-prisoner-rape-face-nypd-trial-article-1.3607738