5 replies to this topic

#1 mickeef2

mickeef2

Back-Up

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:20 PM

Looks like the end of the line for Mike Timlin. Thanks for all the huge outs.

One of my favorite Timlin moments:

#2 LorfTVP

LorfTVP

I Can See Into Your Soul.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:25 AM

Mike Timlin's years with Boston were a mixed bag but he had a solid 3.76 ERA in 409 innings with the Red Sox and a 3.57 playoff ERA. Good man. It's a shame to see ghim go but he was sort of a torturous pitcher to have in the bullpen this year. Time for a move back to the NL. If there was a Middle Relief Hall of Fame, you'd be in the pantheon, Mike Timlin.

#3 mickeef2

mickeef2

Back-Up

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:39 PM

His time was definitely up, no doubt. But over the span of '03-'08, we probably didn't have a more reliable arm in the bullpen than his.

#4 LorfTVP

LorfTVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (mickeef2 @ Nov 9 2008, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
His time was definitely up, no doubt. But over the span of '03-'08, we probably didn't have a more reliable arm in the bullpen than his.

Haha, well, maybe '03-'07. There's a reason we buried him in middle relief this year.

What do you think about Masterson, rotation or bullpen? Honestly, I like him in the bullpen for now, and I feel like his presence defines everyone else's roles a lot more clearly. Delcarmen, though he can still be better, has settled nicely into a good pitcher. So, Papelbon, Okajima, Masterson, Delcarmen...that's a great way to end a game. We'll need a fifth starter/bullpen Tavarez type though.

#5 mickeef2

mickeef2

Back-Up

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (LorfTVP @ Nov 9 2008, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha, well, maybe '03-'07. There's a reason we buried him in middle relief this year.

Again, though, I'm talking about the entire span of time. Obviously this year he was garbage.

QUOTE (LorfTVP @ Nov 9 2008, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you think about Masterson, rotation or bullpen? Honestly, I like him in the bullpen for now, and I feel like his presence defines everyone else's roles a lot more clearly. Delcarmen, though he can still be better, has settled nicely into a good pitcher. So, Papelbon, Okajima, Masterson, Delcarmen...that's a great way to end a game. We'll need a fifth starter/bullpen Tavarez type though.

Tough call on Masterson. He was pretty good as a starter last year, and you don't want to stunt his growth in that regard by relegating him to the 'pen. But I'd rather go into next year with 5 solid Major League starters (so add a Lowe or someone else through free agency) and let the kids (Buchholz,Masterson, Bowden) continue to develop slowly. At this point, it's easier to find a 4th starter than a reliever of his caliber.

As for Delcarmen, unfortunately, I don't know if I share your enthusiasm. He just seems to be schizo- unhittable for a week, then he can't get anybody out. You would think he'd have it figured out by now. I'm still for keeping him around, but I don't know if he's ever gonna reach his full potential.

#6 LorfTVP

LorfTVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE (mickeef2 @ Nov 9 2008, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Again, though, I'm talking about the entire span of time. Obviously this year he was garbage.

Tough call on Masterson. He was pretty good as a starter last year, and you don't want to stunt his growth in that regard by relegating him to the 'pen. But I'd rather go into next year with 5 solid Major League starters (so add a Lowe or someone else through free agency) and let the kids (Buchholz,Masterson, Bowden) continue to develop slowly. At this point, it's easier to find a 4th starter than a reliever of his caliber.

As for Delcarmen, unfortunately, I don't know if I share your enthusiasm. He just seems to be schizo- unhittable for a week, then he can't get anybody out. You would think he'd have it figured out by now. I'm still for keeping him around, but I don't know if he's ever gonna reach his full potential.

True, true. I dunno though, 74 innings of a 3.27 ERA, a 1.12 WHIP, and a .205 BAA is pretty damn solid. Thing is, it's knowing when to trust him in big situations. He's not really a frying pan sort of guy. He really picked it up when Masterson joined the bullpen at the end of the year though. I think he just needs a defined role and he's fine for the 6th and 7th. This was only his third full season and it's damn impressive, all things considered.

An old drug dealer I know played high school baseball with Manny Delcarmen. ph34r.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users