SportsWrath

Great summary of the O's woes

Treehugger

The Giants can't run the ball out of 11 personnel

The Giants have really struggled to run the football in the past two weeks. They have totaled 74 yards rushing on 37 carries over the past two games vs. the Ravens and Rams. That's a 2.0 yards per carry average -- among the worst in the NFL over that span. The offensive line isn't playing great in the run game, but that's not the issue. The Giants are consistently facing two-deep zone defenses designed to stop the passing game -- they should have lanes in the run game.

The real issue is that the Giants consistently go to the shotgun draw run play, among other run calls out of the same exact formation -- their 11 personnel package featuring three wide receivers, one tight end, and one running back. Meanwhile, the Giants don't play the only tight end on their roster who can block (Jerell Adams), they never use a fullback or h back, and they rarely use two tight ends. This puts stress on the five down lineman and one tight end to exceed expectations. Very few teams can successfully run out of this personnel package and the Giants aren't one of them. I understand the idea of wanting to get your best players on the field (Odell Beckham Jr., Sterling Shepard, Victor Cruz), but there's also something to be said about staying multiple on offense to keep the defense off guard.

Written by someone with basic football knowledge and little of the roster. I give the writer credit for understanding there should be the ability to run the ball better against the cover 2.

Yeah the FBs went on IR before the start of the season and we don't have one blocking TE, nevermind two.

Now I'll tell you guys the bad news. Giants are not going to breakout some brand new offense midseason that turns things around. Everyone needs to step up and work with what they have because there are no other choices. They really need to put another offensive lineman out there to significantly improve the run blocking.

Out of the 11 personnel you need a back that can create and they insist on giving carries to a north/south runner like Jennings

On delays and draws, to boot. That dude needs to move his ass once he gets the ball---not entirely his fault, but guys are hitting him basically as soon as he gets the ball. I appreciate that he is a pretty patient runner but getting the ball and pausing is not going to get yardage with this team.

Reese has swung and missed with Flowers and Richburg.

Hart and Jerry are backups at best.

Sullivan and McAdoo know they have a shit line to work with. It also explains the constant shotgun and unusual 1.5 seconds from snap to pass.

Considering the Oline personnel, McAdoo is actually doing a decent job with the O.

Reese has swung and missed with Flowers and Richburg.

Hart and Jerry are backups at best.

Sullivan and McAdoo know they have a shit line to work with. It also explains the constant shotgun and unusual 1.5 seconds from snap to pass.

Considering the Oline personnel, McAdoo is actually doing a decent job with the O.

When all is said and done, Flowers might be a bust or possibly merely average, which would be a disappointment for a high 1st rounder but Richburg has been fine. No way I lump those two together.

When all is said and done, Flowers might be a bust or possibly merely average, which would be a disappointment for a high 1st rounder but Richburg has been fine. No way I lump those two together.

I think Richburg has been pretty good too. Pugh is a bit hit or miss. He seemed to do pretty well against Aaron Donald this past weekend, but three weeks ago was destroyed by Linval Joseph.

Pugh is playing very well this season, Richburg seems to have regressed a bit but I still think they are both going to be good players.

Flowers I still have faith in, we knew he was raw when he was drafted. He's still only 22 years old.

Jerry is actually playing better this year too. I'd still like to upgrade the right side of the line in the offseason though.

Flowers had a great game against one of the better DEs in football on Sunday.

I think the criticism of the Oline from many corners of the internet is way, way overblown. This is not a bad oline. I was massively concerned about RT but even Bobby Hart has done a pretty good job.

We aren't moving the ball for several reasons, the Oline isn't the issue, though.

Flowers had a great game against one of the better DEs in football on Sunday.

I think the criticism of the Oline from many corners of the internet is way, way overblown. This is not a bad oline. I was massively concerned about RT but even Bobby Hart has done a pretty good job.

We aren't moving the ball for several reasons, the Oline isn't the issue, though.

Agreed wouldn't mind upgrading Jerry though

I can't believe what I'm hearing about the O-Line not being an issue. The O-Line is a disaster...there's a reason we can't run the ball, plus have 1.5 second drop backs, and inconsistencies in general

Speaking of which, Pugh is a B at best; but he'd be better if he didn't have duds to the right and left of him. Also, focus on watching Richburg the next game...his man frequently beats him and/or pushes him back, and is nearly always around the ball.

Bobby Hart has held up surprisingly well.

Jerry is a backup on most other teams.

Compounding the issue is no true blocking TE or FB as well.

Overall, we have a "C" graded line at best, and the overall team blocking is closer to a C - without a TE or FB.

Flowers = C

Pugh = B

Richburg = C

Jerry = D

Hart = B

The running game issues are a combo of the OL, piss poor blocking from the TEs, no FB and McAdoo calling/Eli Audibling to that stupid shotgun draw. This is the reason we have only 27 more rushing yards than penalty yards this season and our offense as a whole being stagnant and predictable.

The Oline has it's problems, one of the biggest is that the two guys that should be the building blocks in Pugh and Richburg seem to have up and down moments, Richburg the one who looks good one play but horrible the next.

We shouldn't have to worry about the tackle position with a guy like Flowers but simply put he's been underwhelming and needs a coach to beat technique into his head, but as of this moment he isnt worthy of a third round pick. He struggles against any DE with speed and when he's out matched in strength, which is surprisingly very often, he commits a hold.

Hart and Jerry have been impressive but they are both playing slightly above what should be expected of them, which isnt much.

The only two spots like I said I have hope in are Richburg and Pugh, maybe Flowers but I'm not counting on it, going to have to invest in FA/Draft again, which is a shame since I've read the upcoming draft is pretty weak in terms of first round OL talent.

Its not all about the OL, a TE that can block may make almost all the difference. I see Donnell consistently getting his ass handed to him.

The OL as individuals look like they are playing well. Flowers has his inconsistencies, but I think he's going to be special, just give him time. I'm most concerned with Pugh and Richburg, and disappointed in the latter. So much hype on his talent and preparation, but I don't see it on the field.

Its not all about the OL, a TE that can block may make almost all the difference. I see Donnell consistently getting his ass handed to him.

The OL as individuals look like they are playing well. Flowers has his inconsistencies, but I think he's going to be special, just give him time. I'm most concerned with Pugh and Richburg, and disappointed in the latter. So much hype on his talent and preparation, but I don't see it on the field.

I don't know if Flowers is ever going to be that special offensive tackle. I would be happy with solid and he is on his way to that level. The rest of the offensive is going to settle down as soon as they get some confidence and a running game going.

We have needed a blocking TE for a long time. They still think they can teach blocking and keep failing. Really hope they start putting in an offensive lineman in because our TE's are not getting it done again.

Then why go for a regressing WR in Smith?

I'd rather throw a first round pick at the Bears for Alshon.

Smith opens the offense up. Alshon would be a great addition, too. I didn't know he was on the trade block, though...